Friday, September 29, 2017

Charles Ellet Jr. to Edwin M. Stanton, April 28, 1862

PITTSBURGH, PA.,
April 28, 1862.
Hon. E. M. STANTON,
Secretary of War:

Your several dispatches have been received and acted upon. No efforts are spared to get the gunboats under way. The Mingo will leave to-morrow noon; the Lioness to-morrow evening; both with coal barges. The Samson, I think, will start Wednesday. The tender Dick Fulton can overtake the tows before they reach Louisville. The other tender will wait for the sheltering barge, but I think will come up in time. Will the Department supply the clerk who is to act as paymaster or shall the committee appoint one? Can arrangements be made to enable the wives of the men to draw a part of their pay if they should be detained below? This I find to be important. I will instruct my brother to meet me at Cairo. He will assuredly come rapidly.

CHAS. ELLET,  JR.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 10, Part 2 (Serial No. 11), p. 138

No comments: