Tuesday, March 6, 2018

John Brown Jr. to John Henry Kagi, September 8, 1859

West Andover, Sept. 8, 1859.

Friend Henrie, — I yesterday evening received yours of September 2, and I not only hasten to reply, but to lay its contents before those who are interested. . . . Through those associations which I formed in Canada, I am able to reach each individual member at the shortest notice by letter. I am devoting my whole time to our company business. Shall immediately go out organizing and raising funds. From what I even had understood, I had supposed you would not think it best to commence opening the coal banks before spring, unless circumstances should make it imperative. However, I suppose the reasons are satisfactory to you, and if so, those who own smaller shares ought not to object. I hope we shall be able to get on in season some of those old miners of whom I wrote you. Shall strain every nerve to accomplish this. You may be assured that what you say to me will reach those who may be benefited thereby, and those who would take stock, in the shortest possible time; so don't fail to keep me posted.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

There is a general dearth of news in this region. By the way. I notice, through the “Cleveland Leader,” that “Old Brown” is again figuring in Kansas. Well, every dog must have his day, and he will no doubt find the end of his tether. Did you ever know of such a high-handed piece of business? However, it is just like him. The Black Republicans, some of them, may wink at such things; but I tell you, friend Henrie, he is too salt a dose for many of them to swallow, and I can already see symptoms of division in their ranks. We are bound to roll up a good stiff majority for our side this fall. I will send you herewith the item referred to, which I clipped from the “Leader.”

Give regards to all, and believe me faithfully yours,
John.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 547-8

No comments: