Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Official Reports of the Campaign in North Alabama and Middle Tennessee, November 14, 1864-January 23, 1865: No. 258. — Report of Capt. Joseph T. Cobb, of operations November 28,1864.

No. 258.

Report of Capt. Joseph T. Cobb, of operations November 28,1864.

HEADQUARTERS TEXAS SCOUT,        
Berlin, Tenn., November 29, 1864.

SIR: I have the honor to report, in obedience to orders, that we moved on Shelbyville, surprised and took in their picket, numbering thirteen. Yesterday morning at daylight we charged the place, drove them into their stockade, and withdrew, moving in the direction of Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad. In the engagement at Shelbyville, I am sorry to say, Captain Jackson was wounded, shot in the mouth, ball lodging in jaw, breaking jawbone. The enemy pursued us in force, and we fought them from daylight until 3 p.m., when we recrossed the river (Duck). We had the home guard and Sixth Illinois Cavalry to contend with during the whole fight. I killed a number of them and took about thirty prisoners. Our loss, Captain Jackson and three of his men wounded; none serious. Lieutenant White, of my company, had his arm broken. Having reached this side of the river, I have pressed two shops, and am having my horses shod up as rapidly as possible. Unless I receive different orders from you, I will again move on the railroad to-morrow. The railroad is heavily guarded by stockades, besides they have sent the Sixth, Seventh, and Ninth Illinois Cavalry on the road to protect it. I hope to get orders from you. My horses are almost broken down and barefooted. We were compelled to leave some of our horses yesterday; not able to get back.

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
JOSEPH T. COBB,        
Captain, Commanding Scout.
General FORREST.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 45, Part 1 (Serial No. 93), p. 775-6

No comments: