Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Senator Henry Clay to James B. Clay, March 3, 1849

NEW ORLEANS, March 3, 1849.

MY DEAR SON,—I was glad to hear by your letter of the 18th ultimo that you had returned from Missouri. Your journey must have been a dreadful one, but you will find some compensation for it in the profits which you expect to realize.

My health is better, and I can again walk. I hope to reach home toward the last of this month. The weather is now fine here, and I am desirous not to return until the winter breaks.

I have heard that Colonel Allen has discontinued his school, but I have not heard whether Henry is admitted at West Point. I declined going to Washington at the Call Session.

As you were absent, I sent to Richard Pendell a letter on the Emancipation question. As I regret to hear that it is not popular, I suppose that my letter will bring on me some odium. I nevertheless wish it published. I owe that to the cause, and to myself, and to posterity.

I am delighted to hear that dear little Lucy is better. You are perfectly right to take her to the sea-bath, if it be recommended; but ought you not to think of the Arkansas Springs? My love to Susan and your children.

SOURCE: Calvin Colton, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Henry Clay, p. 585

No comments: