I value your
friendship, and am glad of your frankness. From other sources I learn the
prevailing distrust with regard to me. Thus far, in the consciousness of
absolute rectitude and with a soul that never fears, I have been indifferent to
such reports; but they come upon me now to a degree that gives me pain. Believe
me, I know my rights and duties here, and shall vindicate the one and perform
the other. Thus far in Massachusetts I have not spoken often, but my words have
been timely and effective. I trust not to lose this character here. All the
Democratic leaders and most of the Whigs desired a hearing for me. Cass,
Atchison, Soulé, Bright, Norris, and many others told me so before I tried. My
remarks were conceived so as to give them an opportunity of granting me the
privilege. But after the call of ayes and noes, and the springing of the rattle
from those new Union members, they did not dare to vote for me. It is difficult
for people at a distance to understand the scene. Many in ignorance think I did
not take the right course, or that I did not maintain my position in the proper
way. Here on the spot, familiar with the requirements of the occasion, I am now
satisfied that under the circumstances I acted for the best. Had I introduced a
bill, I could not have spoken except by unanimous consent. Any single person
could have stopped me. My first purpose was to try this; but I finally
preferred to throw myself upon the majority, and to compel them to the ignoble
position before the country of suppressing debate. This has been done, and they
are exposed.
1 Editor of the Roxbury Gazette.
No comments:
Post a Comment