Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Major-General Ulysses S. Grant to Major-General Henry W. Halleck, June 27, 1863

NEAR VICKSBURG, MISS., June 27, 1863.
Maj. Gen. H. W. HALLECK,
        General-in- Chief:

Joe Johnston has postponed his attack until he can receive 10,000 re-enforcements, now on their way from Bragg's army. They are expected early next week. I feel strong enough against this increase, and do not despair of having Vicksburg before they arrive. This latter, however, I may be disappointed in. I may have to abandon protection to the leased plantations from here to Lake Providence, to resist a threat from Kirby Smith's troops. The location of these leased plantations was most unfortunate, and against my judgment. I wanted them put north of the White River.

U. S. GRANT,        
Major-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 1 (Serial No. 36), p. 43-4

No comments: