Monday, February 28, 2022

Governor Thomas O. Moore to George Mason Graham, April 19, 1860

BATON ROUGE, April 19, 1860.

DEAR SIR: Your favor was received this morning, in which you state, “efforts are being made in the Board which if carried into effect will inevitably undermine the military and utilitarian character of the school.” I trust such will not be the case, at least to the extent which you seem to apprehend, as I have understood there would be no opposition to the military branch of the institution, so it did not interfere with the other important branches of education. These are my views. We may differ as to how far the former may interfere but it seems that some satisfactory and beneficial compromise could be made, and I hope will. I much fear my becoming a member or rather the president of the Board will not add to its usefulness, as my experience in such matters, with but a very limited education, gives me but little confidence.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 206

No comments: