Friday, August 11, 2023

L. A. B., a girl from Michigan, to John Brown, November 23, 1859

LAMONT, OTTAWA Co., Michigan, Nov. 23.

My Dear Sir: I have been strongly impressed to write you a few lines for many days; and now, at the eleventh hour, I am resolved to do so, hoping this may reach you. I am glad that you are a Christian man; that you know in whom you have trusted all your life; that you have that within which will make your spirit stronger and braver to endure to the last. My father fought with you in the Battle of Plattsburg, in 1812. He has long since gone to his rest. You will meet him with all the redeemed throng, who perished with their armor on, in that land where wrong will be made right. If this reaches you in time, could you write me but one line, or your name, even, with your own hand, I would treasure it as a priceless legacy. May God bless you and give you peace in your last earthly hour, is the prayer of your sympathizing friend,

L. A. B.

SOURCE: James Redpath, Editor, Echoes of Harper’s Ferry, p. 417

No comments: