Revere House, Friday. September 13, 1851.
MY DEAR SIR, — It has been suggested as possible, that some of those who will dine on the common to-day, might be inclined, afterwards, to make me a call of civility and respect, in numbers. I hope this may not happen. Such an occurrence, immediately after the President's departure, might be liable to misconstruction. It might be represented that it had been planned, or designed, or, if not so, that it was disrespectful to the President. My deep and sincere regard for the President, as well as my official relations to him, would make it exceedingly painful to me, if any thing should occur, in which my name should be concerned, however remotely, manifesting disrespect to him or the slightest want of kindness, or delicacy towards his feelings. Besides, I am desirous that he should get through this occasion in a manner every way the most gratifying to him.
I shall have another opportunity, ere long, of meeting the citizens of Boston. I hope it may not be necessary to show this letter, or even to suggest its existence to any one, but, nevertheless, I wish my friends to be aware of my feelings, should the case arise.
P. S. The President is not quite well this morning, and does not come down to breakfast. I presume he has experienced a little too much fatigue.
SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, pp. 470-1
No comments:
Post a Comment