Friday, April 9, 2010

Fall of New Orleans Confirmed, &c.

Times’ Correspondence.


The President has received a special dispatch to-night form a source altogether different form that through which the information came yesterday, of the fall of New Orleans, confirming the same.

The news from the Rappahannock is important. Our forces have not yet occupied Fredericksburg, but stay in Falmouth, on the opposite side of the river.

Information recently received renders it pretty certain that there is a large rebel force in the neighborhood ready to dispute Gen. McDowell’s progress toward Richmond. Report places this force under command of Gen. G. W. Smith.

World’s Special.

The confirmatory news of the occupation of new Orleans by the Union forces has just been received. It removes very materially the doubts which existed in the minds of some as to the entire reliability of the rebel telegram.

There is reason to believe there has been a discussion at the Treasury Department respecting the policy of raising the blockade of Southern ports as they come into the possession of the Union forces. We are assured by a gentleman who is in constant communication with the Government, that there is little doubt the blockade of New Orleans will be raised immediately on the Union authority being re-established there.

Herald’s dispatch.

Rumors are in circulations that the rebels are preparing to evacuate Yorktown.

FORT MONROE, April 27.

A flag of truce to-day took dispatches and letters for the Union prisoners.

No newspapers came into the hands of the reporters for the press.

The city of New Orleans has been taken by the Union forces. The telegraph operator having left there as previously reported, no particulars have been received. It is however, stated that the operator subsequently attempted to return, but found the city in possession of the Union troops. It is probable the city surrendered without resistance after the fleet made its appearance.

There is a report that the enemy’s much-boasted war gunboat built there as a second Merrimac was destroyed while on its way by the U. S. steamer Pensacola.

The weather and tide to-day have been very favorable for the reappearance of the Merrimac here, but she has not been seen.

It is reported that some rebel gunboats in the James river attempted this morning to shell our forces this side of Warwick.

– Published in The Davenport Daily Gazette, Davenport, Iowa, Wednesday Morning, April 30, 1862, p. 1

No comments: