Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Juvenile Anecdotes

A little girl of three years from beyond the Mississippi who had never seen an apple tree in full bloom beheld one in Ohio.  She lifted her fat hands in the attitude of devotion and exclaimed, “See God’s big bouquet!”

Another child of five years having seen her father for the first time, having been absent in California was much astonished that he should claim any authority over her and upon one occasion of rebellion, as he administered punishment she cried out, “I wish you had never married into our family.”

Another little one being called by her sick mother who said to her, “After I am gone, I hope you will love your father dearly and take care of him as I have done,” replied with assumed importance, “Yes, I’ll keep him out of mischief.” –{Home Monthly.

– Published in The Burlington Weekly Hawk-Eye, Burlington, Iowa, Saturday, February 1, 1862, p. 3

No comments: