Friday, August 23, 2013

Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant to Congressman Elihu B. Washburne, December 23, 1864

City Point, Virginia,
December 23, 1864.

I see some objections are raised to Meade's confirmation as major-general in the regular army. What the objections are I do not know, and cannot therefore address myself to them. I am very sorry this should be so. General Meade is one of our truest men and ablest officers. He has been constantly with that army, confronting the strongest, best-appointed, and most confident army in the South. He therefore has not had the same opportunity of winning laurels so distinctively marked as have fallen to the lot of other generals. But I defy any one to name a commander who could do more than he has done with the same chances. I am satisfied that with a full knowledge of the man, what he has done, and the circumstances attending all his military acts, all objections would be removed. I wrote a letter to Senator Wilson to-day in his behalf which I hope will have some weight. If you can put in a word with some of the other Senators, particularly those who oppose his confirmation, and are willing to do it, I will feel much obliged.

SOURCE: James Grant Wilson, Editor, General Grant’s Letters to a Friend 1861-1880, p. 41-2

No comments: