Saturday, September 28, 2013

Brigadier General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, September 24, 1861

HEADQUARTERS SECOND BRIGADE, MCCALL'S DIVISION,
TEN ALLY-TOWN, September 24, 1861.

Nothing of importance has transpired since I last wrote to you. I am getting pretty familiar with my duties, which thus far have been principally paper work. You would be astonished to see the amount of writing and papering required of a general in the field. A good deal of it is regular circumlocution, or “How not to do it.” Nevertheless, being regulations, one has to comply with the requirements, however foolish they may seem. Our mess is very comfortable. Dr. Stocker is caterer, and I have a young man from one of the regiments acting as my adjutant general, till the arrival of Captain Baird. Captain Ringwalt, a Chester County farmer, has been assigned to me as quartermaster. He is said to be a most respectable and wealthy farmer of Chester County.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 220

No comments: