Saturday, November 30, 2013

General Robert E. Lee to Col. G. W. Custis Lee, November 10, 1862

CAMP CULPEPER COURT HOUSE, 10th November, 1862.

MY DEAR CUSTIS:

Fitzhugh reached here yesterday morning from the Valley and joined his brigade now in my front. I have nothing new to relate beyond my public dispatches. I am operating to baffle the advance of the enemy and retain him among the mountains until I can get him separated that I can strike at him to advantage. His force will be thus diminished and disheartened. His sick and stragglers must be going back. He is along the Manassas R. R. near Piedmont. His advance cavalry along the line of the Rappahannock River. Give much love to your dear mother, Agnes and Charlotte, not forgetting my granddaughter. I wish you were with me.

Truly and aff'y, your father,
R. E. LEE.
COL. G. W. CUSTIS LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 199

No comments: