Saturday, November 23, 2013

Major General Henry Halleck to Major General William T. Sherman, July 16, 1862

CORINTH, July 16, 1862.

Major-General SHERMAN,  Moscow:

You will soon receive orders from General Grant to march yours and Hurlbut's divisions to Memphis. The troops at Grand Junction will fall back to Bolivar, and a new division will be organized and sent to Curtis.

Confidential. I am ordered to Washington, and leave to-morrow, Thursday. I have done my best to avoid it. I have studied out and can finish the campaign in the West. Don't understand and cannot manage affairs in the East. Moreover, do not want to have anything to do with the quarrels of Stanton and McClellan. The change does not please me, but I must obey orders. Good-by, and may God bless you. I am more than satisfied with everything you have done. You have always had my respect, but recently you have won my highest admiration. I deeply regret to part from you.

H. W. HALLECK,
Major-general.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 17, Part 2 (Serial No. 25), p. 100

No comments: