Wednesday, December 25, 2013

General Robert E. Lee to Charlotte Wickham Lee, June 11, 1863

Culpeper, 11th June, 1863.

I am so grieved, my dear daughter, to send Fitzhugh to you wounded. But I am so grateful that his wound is of a character to give us full hope of a speedy recovery. With his youth and strength, and your tender care to nurse him, I trust he will soon be well again. I know that you will unite with me in thanks to Almighty God who has so often shielded him in the hour of danger for this recent deliverance, and lift up your whole heart in praise to Him for sparing a life so dear to us, while enabling him to do his duty in the station in which He had placed him. Ask him to join us in supplication that He may always cover him with the shadow of His Almighty arm, and teach him that his only refuge is in Him, the greatness of whose mercy reacheth unto the heavens, and His truth unto the clouds. As some good is always mixed with the evil in this world, you will now have him with you for a time, and I shall look to you to cure him very soon and send him back to me, for though I saw him seldom, I knew he was near and always hoped to see him. I went today to thank Mrs. Hill for her attention to him and kindness to you. She desired me to give her regards to you both. I must now thank you for the letter you wrote to me while at Fredericksburg. I kept it by me till preparing for the battlefield, when fearing it might reach the eyes of General Hooker I destroyed it. We can carry with us only our recollections. I must leave F. to tell you about the battle, the army, and the country. . . . Tell cousin A. I am rejoiced that Williams is unhurt, though pretty Sue might like to see the ambulance driving up again. I want all the husbands in the field, and their wives at home encouraging them, loving them, and praying for them. We have a great work to accomplish, which requires the cordial and united strength of all. . . . Give much love to Cousin A., Mrs. L. and her sweet children, Mr. W., and my dear Uncle W. Tell Fitzhugh he must make haste and get well — that I am sad without him. You and Rob must let me know how he gets on.

Truly and affectionately yours,
R. E. LEE.

SOURCE:  John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 245-6

No comments: