Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Major General William T. Sherman to Thomas Ewing, March 31, 1865

IN THE FIELD, GOLDSBORO, N. C.,
March 31, 1865.

. . . I have already been to see General Grant and am back before the enemy or newspaper spies revealed it. I have a clear view of another step in the game, and think I am on the right road. It does seem to me that one or two more such chasms in our enemy's ranks and resources will leave him gasping and begging for quarter. It is perfectly impossible for me in case of failure to divest myself of responsibility as all from the President, Secretary of War, General Grant, etc., seem to vie with each other in contributing to my success.

You need not fear my committing a political mistake, for I am fully conscious of the fact that I would imperil all by any concessions in that direction. I have and shall continue to repel all advances made me of such a kind.

I would like to see my family occasionally, but it seems impossible. It is manifest I am in the rapids and must go on till the cataract is passed and the boat in smooth water.

SOURCE: M. A. DeWolfe Howe, Editor, Home Letters of General Sherman, p. 337-8

No comments: