Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Brigadier General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, August 12, 1862

BARNUM'S, BALTIMORE, MD., August 12, 1862.

I arrived here this morning at seven o'clock. I was very well received here by all the people at this house, particularly by the office clerk in spectacles, who said he had seen and attended to you.  He says _____ told them a piece of a shell had struck me in the body, passing through and through. It was not therefore unreasonable that people generally should have considered my case a desperate one. I had a very pleasant trip on the "Propellor," it being quite cool and breezy. At St. George's, on the canal, just as I had turned in, I was informed that a number of Union citizens had assembled on the dock and were desirous of seeing me, as they had seen me pass through when wounded. Fortunately the boat was about starting, which, together with my dishabille, were given as excuses for my non-appearance, and the people of St. George's were thus saved a most eloquent address. The first person I saw this morning was Duncan Graham, looking very handsome and very like his brother Willie. Duncan is on board the "Octorara," Commodore Porter's flagship. After I had breakfasted, I attended to shifting the baggage and securing my place on the Old Point boat.

I cannot tell you how miserable and sad I was and am at parting from you and the dear children, and as the boat pushed off and I saw those three fine boys standing on the dock, I thought my heart would break. But it cannot be helped and must be endured, and we must try and bear our trials as cheerfully as we possibly can.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 301-2

No comments: