Saturday, February 15, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Brigadier General G. W. Custis Lee, April 9, 1864

CAMP, 9th April, 1864.
MY DEAR CUSTIS:

I have delayed replying to your letter of the 5th to see what action would be had upon my application for a chief engineer of this army. By the order received last evening directing General Smith to report to me for engineer duty, I conclude the President has decided against my application for you.

I thought that position presented less objections to your serving with me than any other. Though a member of the general staff of the army, your operations, presence, etc., would have been with the Corps of Engineers and as independent as any other commander, while your work would have been obvious to all and spoken for itself. As chief of staff, your connection with me would be more intimate, your work more a part of my own, your action less distinct and separate, and assumed at least to be by my direction.

This would be very agreeable to me, but more open to all the objections that could be brought against your holding the place of Chief of Engineers. I presume, therefore, it would not be favorably considered. It is a delicate matter to apply for any one on the staff of another. I am not certain that it is proper to ask for one, serving with the President. In addition it is more important that he should have the aid he desires than I should. Although, therefore, anxious to have you, I am at a loss how to proceed. I know the kind feelings of the President toward you, and to me, and to my wants he has always shown the kindest consideration.

I want all the aid I can get now. I feel a marked change in my strength since my attack last spring at Fredericksburg, and am less competent for my duty than ever. I admire the sentiments that induced you to decline the command around Richmond. But the reasons that operated in that case will prevail in all similar, and are not likely to be changed by time, should you continue where you are.

However, it is done, and I believe will turn out for the best. I have a high opinion of Generals Kemper and Mahone in the positions in which they have been tested. How they would do in others, it is difficult to say. A single road I believe General M. would manage admirably. He could attend to it personally and would see to everything himself. Over a more extended field, the chain through all the Confederacy, it is also problematic.

Give much love to everybody, and believe me always,

Your devoted father,
R. E. LEE.
GEN. G. W. CUSTIS LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 304

No comments: