Monday, February 17, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Brigadier General G. W. Custis Lee, August 27, 1864

CAMP, PETERSBURG, 27th August, 1864.
MY DEAR CUSTIS:

I have received your letter of the 26th. I issued the order for the reorganization of Dearing's and Young's brigades, etc., as soon as received from the A. and I. General's office. As far as I could judge from the reports made to me it produced dissatisfaction. I replied I knew none of the reasons for the change ordered, but that they must be made unless countermanded by the A. and I. General, from whom the order emanated. Hampton requested permission to present a counter-project to effect the same purpose, which he thought better, which was assented to, and which was forwarded to the A. and I. General.

The troops have been in such constant motion and action that the order for the changes could not without detriment have been carried out, and I understand from H. that it would probably be modified. I will get the papers and see if the difficulties stated can be harmonized. I think the brigades can be made homogeneous without separating commands who are anxious to serve together.

I think it important to satisfy the men as well as officers. All have a hard time, and I am anxious to promote pleasant feelings, and take away any excuse for bad conduct, desertion, etc. I am very much occupied now, and am much in the field. It may be some days before I can attend to this matter.

There are several things about which I wish to see the President and shall take the first day when there is an indication of quiet to go to Richmond. Grant is moving his troops backward and forward, right and left, constantly, and it is difficult to discover his intention. The worst of it is, he is so situated that he can disclose and conceal such movements as he desires. You must thank Major F. for the packages. I have received a letter from his brother which I have not been able to reply to. I do not want the articles sent here. I will attend to them if I go to Richmond.

I have only one earthly want, that God in His infinite mercy will send our enemies back to their homes. I am glad that F. R. and Bev. are doing well. Tell the former his division did splendidly on the 25th, charging the enemy's breastworks on foot, as if they were armed with bayonets. He should not have gotten poisoned. What did B. let them strike him for? I am much concerned about Bev. I trust he will do well. I have just received three stand of colors taken by Chambliss's brigade. Where are daughter and sweet Annie gone to? They had better come to see their papa. The sight of them would assuage the flies by day, and mosquitoes by night.

Between the two I have no peace. If there was an unsmoked mouth in the house, I would send them a kiss, but the thing is out of the question. Ask Miss Mary Triplett to officiate for me. I can assure them they will be the gainers. Love to all, and kind regards to the gentlemen.

Truly your father,
R. E. LEE.
GEN. G. W. CUSTIS LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 305-6

No comments: