Monday, February 10, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Carrie Stuart, March 19, 1864

CAMP, ORANGE CO., 19th March, 1864.

MY BEAUTIFUL CARRIE:

The pleasure I derived from your note of the 10th was disturbed by the knowledge of the labors you have bestowed upon my coat. How did you get it? I thought Custis had hid it away. It is too soon yet for you to undertake such work. You will have plenty of opportunity to show your skill upon Rob's garments I hope. He is now, however, nearly hopeless. He says although your kind mother made him 500 cakes, it produced not the least effect upon you. What more he can offer he is at a loss to conceive. I sincerely thank you for your remembrance of me and your kind consideration for my comfort. I shall enjoy my coat very much and value it more highly than ever. I was very glad to see your sweet sister Margaret in Richmond. She was, of course, attended by the signal corps. As soon as Gen. Edward Johnson drives back Meade's army, I am going to let him go to Cleydall — not before.

You can all afford to call others "hard headed."  "First cast out the beam of thine own eye." Give much love to your father, mother, Miss Ada, and little Julian, and believe me always truly,

Yours,
R. E. LEE.
MISS CARRIE STUART.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 300-1

No comments: