Friday, February 28, 2014

Major General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, December 26, 1862

HEADQUARTERS FIFTH ARMY CORPS, December 26, 1862.

After Burnside's return from Washington, which I think took place about the 23d, he issued an order placing me in command of this corps, and directing me to report to General Hooker for that purpose. Accordingly I rode over to Hooker's, on the 24th, and found Butterfield and himself together. Butterfield observed soon after my arrival, that Hooker had just informed him of the order assigning me here. I said "Yes, I have come to report for duty." After a few moments Butterfield left, when Hooker said, "I told Burnside, when he informed me of his intention, that there was no officer in the army I would prefer to you, were the corps without a commander and the question of selection open, but Butterfield having been placed there and having discharged the duties to my satisfaction, particularly through the late battle, I deemed myself authorized to ask that he might be retained." He made some further remarks about nothing personal being intended, and then turned to his table and issued the order relieving Butterfield, and placing me in command. I returned to my camp, and yesterday moved over here. After the first ice was broken, Butterfield was very civil. He insisted on me eating my Christmas dinner with him, and really had a very handsome entertainment, at which were present all the division and brigade commanders of the corps. After dinner, when they had all left, to give Butterfield a chance, I told him I considered he was fully justified in being disappointed and put out; that if I had been assigned to a corps in disregard of the rank of others, been retained there for a month, gone through a battle and then removed on account of rank, I should myself, as I had experienced in a similar instance, feel very much annoyed and disgusted, and that I considered such feelings natural. Poor Butterfield then opened his heart, I having hit the nail on the head, and told me that when first assigned he went to Burnside and asked whether it was a temporary affair, or not, as he should arrange matters somewhat differently if he was only to hold the position till some senior brigadier or major general came along, and that Burnside assured him positively and distinctly that it was permanent, and that he should not be disturbed. I said certainly that aggravated the matter, but that he should not hold me responsible; that the mistake and misfortune resulted from the injustice that was done me when he was first assigned, and that General Burnside had told me, per contra, that he was ignorant at the time that I ranked him (Butterfield). So to-day I have been installed, and the affair appears to be definitely and satisfactorily settled.

I have received a very handsome letter from Mr. Dehon, thanking me most gratefully for all I have done for his poor boy, and speaking most feelingly of his loss. I really feel for him, for they were wrapped up in each other.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 341-2

No comments: