Monday, March 10, 2014

Colonel Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, June 24, 1861

Monday morning, June 24th.

I advanced with Colonel J. W. Allen's regiment and Captain Pendleton's Battery, but the enemy retreated across the river, and, after reconnoitring their camp, I returned to my present position, four miles north of Martinsburg. The Federal troops were in two camps, one estimated at about six hundred, and the other at nine hundred. You spoke of the cause of the South being gloomy. It is not so here. I am well satisfied that the enemy are afraid to meet us, and our troops are anxious for an engagement. A few days since Colonel A. P. Hill, who had been sent to Romney, despatched a detachment to burn a bridge eighteen miles west of Cumberland. The enterprise was successful. The enemy lost two guns and their colors. I regret to see our ladies making those things they call “Havelocks,”1 as their time and money could be much more usefully employed in providing haversacks for the soldiers, many of whom have none in which to carry their rations. I have been presented with three Havelocks, but I do not intend to wear them, for, as far as I am concerned, I shall show that such protection is unnecessary in this climate.
___________

1 A covering to protect the head and neck from the sun.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 163

No comments: