Sunday, March 16, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, April 12, 1862

HEADQUARTERS 54TH REGIMENT O. V. U. S. A.,
CAMP SHILOH, TENNESSEE, April 12, 1862.

I have an opportunity of writing at private hand, which I must not let slip although I wrote you yesterday. My health never was better, and I am in good spirits, hoping for another engagement, which I trust will be the last. . . . The next time our boys will be exactly in fighting trim. You must not permit yourself to be worried about me. God will take the same good care of me in the future as He has done in the past. The God of Battles (to whom I am grateful with all my heart, for He alone has saved me) will still stretch forth His protecting arm, unless it is His Will that I should go, and if it is His Will, I trust I shall be ready.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 194

No comments: