Thursday, March 13, 2014

John Brown to John Brown Jr., January 27, 1846

AKRON, Jan. 27, 1846.

DEAR SON JOHN, — I arrived at home December 2d; had a fatiguing but I should think a prosperous journey, and brought with me a few choice sheep. Our wool sold by the sort, at from 24 cents to $1.20 per pound, just as we wash it on the sheep; average, about the same as last year, perhaps a little better. Our flock have done remarkably this winter, and are in good condition and health. We have lost but three by disease since sometime in the fall. Our sales of sheep (mostly bucks) since August amount to about $640. Since my return, I have been troubled considerably with my eyes. They are better now. Your letter to Ruth is received, and she is preparing to go with you when you come out. I have a plan to lay before you for your operations after the first of June next, and hope you will not commit yourself for a longer time until you hear it. I think we have quite as much worldly prosperity as will be likely to be a real blessing to us. Fred is in Richfield for the present, with about 250 sheep and a dog under his command. He seems disposed to reading and some thought. Would like to have you write him there, or here perhaps would be better. Write often.

Affectionately your father,
JOHN BROWN.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 62

No comments: