Sunday, March 16, 2014

John Brown to Mary Ann Day Brown, January 23, 1839

NEW HARTFORD, CONN., Jan. 23, 1839.

. . . I have felt distressed to get my business done and return, ever since I left home, but know of no way consistent with duty but to make thorough work of it while there is any hope. Things now look more favorable than they have, but I may still be disappointed. We must all try to trust in Him who is very gracious and full of compassion and of almighty power; for those that do will not be made ashamed. Ezra the prophet prayed and afflicted himself before God, when himself and the Captivity were in a straight, and I have no doubt you will join with me under similar circumstances. Don't get discouraged, any of you, but hope in God, and try all to serve him with a perfect heart.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 68-9

No comments: