Saturday, March 15, 2014

Major General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, January 30, 1863

CAMP NEAR FALMOUTH, VA., January 30, 1863.

A good deal of excitement exists in the army from a report prevailing that the provost marshal of Washington, or rather the head of the detective police in his department, is in the habit of systematically opening the letters received and written by officers. For my part I can hardly credit the statement, and so far as I am concerned am willing it should prove true, for I cannot see how information obtained in this manner can be used against one. I have endeavored to the best of my ability to do my duty, and I have never said a word to any one around me that the most hypercritical could find fault with. In writing to you, however, the wife of my bosom and the only confidential friend I have in the world, I have without doubt at times expressed opinions about men and things, that would not be considered orthodox, but I maintain no government in the world would take advantage of such confidential intercourse to find a man guilty, and I don't believe that any of my letters have ever been opened.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 353

No comments: