Friday, March 7, 2014

Major General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, January 13, 1863

CAMP NEAR FALMOUTH, VA., January 13, 1863.

Now that I am back I can hardly realize that I spent day before yesterday with you and the dear children. I had a very comfortable journey to Washington, sleeping nearly all the way. I reached Willards about 7 A. M., breakfasted and walked up to the Bureau to see Woodruff. At 11 presented myself to the court, where I was put on the stand and badgered till 3.30 P. M., the court trying to make me condemn McDowell's tactics and strategy. After court, walked down the street with Markoe Bache to see Margaret,1 returned to the hotel and dined at 6 P. M., loafed for an hour or two around the hotel, and at 9 P. M., left in a special steamer for Acquia Creek, reaching my tent and bed at 3 A. M., this morning. I met at Willards, Burnside's Aide, who told me he thought I might venture to remain another day, but as I really had finished all I had to do in Washington, and there was nothing to detain me, I determined to come back. To-day I have been employed seeing Hooker and Burnside, the latter of whom insisted on my dining with him, and was very complimentary on my promptitude in returning, saying he believed I was the only officer in his command that had come back when he was told to do so, and had not overstayed his leave. I could not get any definite information about our movements, though everything looks as if we were going some day to move.

I was treated with great distinction in Washington, and Aleck. Coxe was greatly delighted with the number of inquiries as to who I was, and the very general knowledge of my name, but not of my person. He overheard two gentlemen talking, one of whom said, "What major general is that," to which the other replied, "Meade." "Who is he," said the first, "I never saw him before." "No, that is very likely, for he is one of our fighting generals, is always on the field, and does not spend his time in Washington hotels." I saw of course a good many people, principally army officers.
__________

1 Sister of General Meade.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 346-7

No comments: