Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Brigadier General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, September 24, 1861

I am going to write a letter to my darling pet esposita, who paid me such a sweet visit, and whose dear face I can still see, though she is 'way down in the Old North State. If my darling were here, I know she would enjoy General Jones's band, which plays very sweetly. We are still at the same encampment as when you left, and I have the promise of three more wall tents. Yesterday Rev. Dr. William Brown visited Munson's Hill, and took a peep at the Yankees. . . . The Board of Visitors of the Institute met in Richmond, and decided if the professors did not return they would fill their places, superintendents and all. Suppose they ask you to go back. Are you going to do so, or will you let them fill your chair? Colonel Echols returned this morning, but does not bring, to our finite minds, very good news. General Floyd was only about thirty miles west of Lewisburg, and General Wise was fifteen miles in advance of him. General Lee, with four regiments, had gone on to General Wise.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 184

No comments: