Monday, April 28, 2014

Brigadier General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, September 26, 1861

September 26, 1861

I did not have room enough in my last letter, nor have I time this morning, to write as much as I desired about Dr. Dabney's sermon yesterday. His text was from Acts, seventh chapter and fifth verse. He stated that the word God being in italics indicated that it was not in the original, and he thought it would have been better not to have been in the translation. It would then have read: “Calling upon and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” He spoke of Stephen, the first martyr under the new dispensation, like Abel, the first under the old, dying by the hand of violence, and then drew a graphic picture of his probably broken limbs, mangled flesh and features, conspiring to heighten his agonizing sufferings. But in the midst of this intense pain, God, in His infinite wisdom and mercy, permitted him to see the heavens opened, so that he might behold the glory of God, and Jesus, of whom he was speaking, standing on the right hand of God. Was not such a heavenly vision enough to make him forgetful of his sufferings? He beautifully and forcibly described the death of the righteous, and as forcibly that of the wicked. . . .

Strangers as well as Lexington friends are very kind to me. I think about eight days since a gentleman sent me a half-barrel of tomatoes, bread, etc., and I received a letter, I am inclined to think from the same, desiring directions how to send a second supply. I received from Colonel Ruff a box of beautifully packed and delicately flavored plums; also a bottle of blackberry vinegar from the Misses B. What I need is a more grateful heart to the “Giver of every good and perfect gift.”

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 193-4

No comments: