Saturday, April 5, 2014

Major-General George B. McClellan to Edwin M. Stanton, June 27, 1862 – 8 p.m.


June 27, 1862 8 p.m.
Hon. E. M. STANTON,
Secretary of War:

Have had a terrible contest. Attacked by greatly superior numbers in all directions on this side; we still hold our own, though a very heavy fire is still kept up on the left bank of Chickahominy. The odds have been immense. We hold our own very nearly. I may be forced to give up my position during the night, but will not if it is possible to avoid it. Had I 20,000 fresh and good troops we would be sure of a splendid victory to-morrow.

My men have fought magnificently.
GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-general.


SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 11, Part 3 (Serial No. 14), p. 266

No comments: