Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Major General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, April 14, 1863

CAMP NEAR FALMOUTH, April 14, 1863.

Yesterday I received a letter asking me to appoint a day to receive the sword, etc. I referred it to General Hooker, who replied that it was entirely out of the question, my being absent at this time, and recommending the postponement of the presentation, which I accordingly wrote to the committee. I am just as well satisfied, for I looked with great horror at the prospect of being made a lion, and having to roar for the benefit of outsiders. I trust now they will come quietly down here, make the presentation, and let me send the sword back to you, for it is too precious to carry in the field.

I have been busy all day making preparations for the march.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 366

No comments: