Thursday, April 3, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to James A. Seddon, January 16, 1865

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA,
January 16, 1865.

HON. SEC. OF WAR, RICHMOND.

SIR: I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 12th inst., with its enclosures. I thank you for your prompt, energetic measures for the relief of the army. As soon as I was informed of the break in our railroad connections I issued the enclosed appeal to the farmers and others in the country accessible by our remaining communications, and sent Major Tannahill to them to obtain all the supplies that could be procured. I am glad to say that, so far as I know, the crisis in relation to this matter is now past.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
R. E. LEE,
General.

[Indorsement.]

Noted with pleasure. It was the most effectual mode of obtaining supplies — more effective, I doubt not, than coercive action of the Department.

J. A. S.
January 19, 1865.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 349

No comments: