Friday, May 23, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, October 16, 1862

CAMP ON HERNANDO ROAD, NEAR MEMPHIS,
Oct. 16, 1862.
MY DEAR WIFE:

A stupid publication in the Commercial of the 13th inst. causes me anxiety lest you should be made to suffer in the belief that I am the interesting individual referred to. For good or for evil the newspapers are bound to misspell my name, to destroy my identity, to take away, as far as possible, my individuality, and now they propose to publish me wounded. I think, however, your good sense will enable you to locate me right. The number of my regiment, my brigade and division under General Sherman will enable my family to place me. There is no telegraph from this point or I would telegraph you. I have just returned from a reconnoissance into Mississippi. We met no enemy and had not even a skirmish. I commanded the expedition. Temporarily my command is somewhat more independent than it was and I have had artillery assigned to my command in connection with my regiment. My duties are very active. The weather is cooler, and my health improving. If we should have frost it would be everything to me.

They had a big fight at Corinth. Many of my personal friends have gone under, among them Jim Jackson, formerly member of Congress from Kentucky. I knew him intimately in Washington and renewed my acquaintance with him before Corinth in the field. His was a gallant, noble spirit. God! how many of them are gone, to “barter breath for fame.” That was a bloody, bloody fight while it lasted; I mean the dash on Corinth. Rosecrans has immortalized himself. He's a splendid soldier. I can't tell what our movements will be; Sherman knows as little of them as any one; coming events will determine. I do not think we shall be marched from this point for some weeks, unless upon expeditions to return.

I am writing as usual hastily, to save the mail; the fact is, I eat, drink, sleep, walk, ride, talk, write in a hurry. I am hurrying through life; as poor father used to say, “I was born in a hurry and shall die in a hurry.” Time never sped so fast with me.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 244-5

No comments: