Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, November 11, 1862

CAMP NEAR MEMPHIS, Nov. 11, 1862.
My Dear Wife:

My life is now in comparison to what it has been somewhat monotonous, though full of daily incidents that a year ago would have been excitement enough for any one, a circumstance then that would have caused comment for a month, is now passed over without a second thought. Last night one of my pickets shot a soldier of the 6th Missouri who was attempting to escape from guard. He was a splendidly formed man, and as I looked at him this morning, stripped for washing before burial, shot directly through the body with one of our large Minie-balls, and saw the little unconcern of all about him — even he who shot him — I began to realize better than ever before how valueless human life has become; within an hour the man was buried out of sight and the thing quite forgotten.

It is Indian summer weather, and were it not for the dust, different from anything in my experience in the way of dust, would be delightful; I am in the saddle the greater part of the time and keep three horses pretty well tired down. I never thought I could ride so much without fatigue. Last Friday I was Officer of the Day and rode all day until eleven o'clock at night, came back to camp, changed horses, made the grand round and did not dismount till half-past five o'clock in the morning. That day I rode twenty-two and a half hours out of the twenty-four, and then taking only an hour's nap, reported for duty. I know I rest better in the saddle than in the chair, and almost as well as lying down.

I think I shall be in good trim for a winter campaign. We shall take the field probably in about three weeks. The other day the field officers of our brigade surprised General Sherman by calling in a body and presenting him with sword, sash, belt, etc. — presentation and acceptance very affecting. We were all together at the plains of Shiloh. After presentation invited him to wine supper at hotel; speeches, talk, etc., and a good time generally. Mrs. Sherman, with the General, called upon me this morning, and indeed just left as I sit down to write. She is a very pleasant woman; the more I see of her the better I like her. She often comes to my camp and both she and the general are very hospitable to me; indeed, I believe I eat at their table oftener than at my own. There are several ladies residing not far from my camp, and one in Memphis, with whom I have become acquainted, and at whose house I often visit. It is agreeable to me, as I mess quite alone.
There was a grand Union demonstration in the city yesterday — a procession and the theatre thrown open, and girls dressed in white and mounted on a car to be dragged through the streets and one representing a goddess of liberty, who ought to be chained to a rock and kept there the balance of her days, and a grand band and flags fluttering, and speeches made from the stage by distinguished citizens and military men, and a hurrah, and the General with his staff and me on his right hand, caprioling and cavorting through the streets and standing on balconies, with waving hats and dancing plumes and brass buttons glittering in the sun, and new uniforms covered with dust and other free soil, and many little ragged boys and small girls with unkempt hair and the backs of their gowns gaping wide, and “the Union, it must be preserved,” and General Washington, looking like a superannuated ass with his ears cropped close, and “Esto Perpetua” and “flag of the free heart's hope and home,” and divers other strange devices, all done up in white cotton and carried about on sticks by sundry patriots at the remarkably low price of two dollars a day and whiskey thrown in, and a major and invited guests and the presentation of a Star Spangled Banner, long may it wave, by patriotic ladies of Memphis to Union Club, and all the rest of it done up in a rag after the approved style of Plymouth Rock, and the 4th of July and the 8th of January, and Washington's birthday. Vox populi, vox Dei.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 247-8

No comments: