Friday, May 16, 2014

General John Bell Hood to Major-General William T. Sherman, September 9, 1864

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF TENNESSEE, OFFICE CHIEF OF STAFF,
September 9th, 1864.

Maj.-Gen. WILLIAM T. SHERMAN, Commanding United States Forces in Georgia.

GENERAL: — Your letter of yesterday's date, borne by James M. Ball and James R. Crew, citizens of Atlanta, is received. You say therein, “I deem it to be to the interest of the United States that the citizens now residing in Atlanta should remove,” etc.

I do not consider that I have any alternative in this matter. I therefore accept your proposition to declare a truce of two days, or such time as may be necessary to accomplish the purpose mentioned, and shall render all assistance in my power to expedite the transportation of citizens in this direction. I suggest that a staff officer be appointed by you to superintend the removal from the city to Rough and Ready, while I appoint a like officer to control their removal further South; that a guard of one hundred men be sent by either party as you propose, to maintain order at the place, and that the removal begin on Monday next.

And now, sir, permit me to say that the unprecedented measure you propose transcends, in studied and ingenious cruelty, all acts ever before brought to my attention in the dark history of war.

In the name of God and humanity, I protest, believing that you will find that you are expelling from their homes and firesides the wives and children of a brave people.

I am, General, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

J. B. HOOD, General.

SOURCES: John Bell Hood, Advance and Retreat, p. 230; The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 3, Part 2 (Serial No. 78), p. 415

No comments: