Thursday, May 1, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to The Loyal National League, April 2, 1863

HEADQUARTERS 5TH ARMY CORPS,
Camp near Falmouth, Va.,
April 2d, 1863.

SIR: I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 26th ult., inviting me to be present at a proposed meeting of the Loyal National League, to be held at Union Square, on the 11th inst., and, in the event of my inability to attend, asking for my views.

My duties with the army in the field, and the near approach of active operations, preclude the possibility of my presence on the occasion referred to; which I the more regret, because, cordially subscribing to the cardinal principles enunciated as the basis of your association, it would afford me much pleasure to co-operate with you in giving a public expression to the same.

My views, which you ask for, are very brief and simple. They are, that it is, and should be, the undoubted and unhesitating duty of every citizen of the republic to give his whole energies, and to contribute by all the means in his power, to the determined prosecution of the war, until the integrity of the government is re-established, and its supremacy acknowledged. Deprecating as useless all discussion as to the causes of the war, the fact of its existence, and the necessity for its continuance, should alone occupy us. For its successful prosecution and termination, I am clearly of the opinion there is only required union and harmony among ourselves, and the bringing to bear men and means proportionate to the power and resources of the country.

For the purpose of securing union and harmony, I know of no measure better calculated than the organization of your National Loyal League. Its broad and simple platform is one to which citizens of all parties can readily subscribe; and I have no doubt its effect will be most salutary in proving, to those who are in arms to subvert the government, that, whatever differences of opinion may exist on minor points, upon the main point of there being but one government and one flag, we are determined and united.

Wishing you every success in your patriotic object, I have to assure you, for myself and those under my command, that we do not hesitate “to pledge ourselves to unconditional loyalty to the government of the United States — to an unswerving support of its efforts to suppress the rebellion, and to spare no endeavor to maintain unimpaired the national unity, both in principle and territorial boundary.”

I have the honor to be, sir,
Most respectfully, your obed't serv't,
GEO. G. MEADE,
Maj. Gen, of Vol's.
JAS. A. ROOSEVELT, Esq.,
Secretary Loyal National League, New York.

SOURCE: Opinions of Prominent Men Concerning the Great Questions of the Times, p. 25-6

No comments: