Sunday, May 18, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Judah P. Benjamin, January 31, 1862

HEADQUARTERS VALLEY DISTRICT,
Winchester, Va., January 31, 1862.
Hon. J.P. BENJAMIN, Secretary of War:

SIR: Your order requiring me to direct General Loring to return with his command to Winchester immediately has been received and promptly complied with.

With such interference in my command I cannot expect to be of much service in the field, and accordingly respectfully request to be ordered to report for duty to the superintendent of the Virginia Military Institute at Lexington, as has been done in the case of other professors. Should this application not be granted, I respectfully request that the President will accept my resignation from the Army.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
 T. J. JACKSON,
 Major-General, P. A. C. S.


[Indorsement.]

HEADQUARTERS,
Centreville, February 7, 1862.

Respectfully forwarded, with great regret. I don't know how the loss of this officer can be supplied. General officers are much wanted in this department.

 J. E. JOHNSTON,
 General.

SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 5 (Serial No. 5), p. 1053; Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 229

No comments: