Monday, May 5, 2014

Major-General Ulysses S. Grant to Major-General Nathaniel P. Banks, May 25, 1863

NEAR VICKSBURG, MISS., May 25, 1863.
Maj. Gen. N. P. BANKS,
Comdg. Dept. of the Gulf:

I send Colonel Riggin, of my staff, to communicate with you on the subject of co-operation between our respective forces in the effectual opening of the Mississippi River. Colonel Riggin can give you all the particulars of my present situation more minutely than can well be done in a short communication. I now have Vicksburg invested, and draw my supplies from the Yazoo above Vicksburg, and from Warrenton below the city. I feel that my force is abundantly strong to hold the enemy where he is, or to whip him if he should come out.

The place is so strongly fortified, however, that it cannot be taken without either a great sacrifice of life or by a regular siege. I have determined to adopt the latter course, and save my men.

I can get no accurate information as to the number of men the enemy have nor the amount of provisions or ordnance stores. They are evidently deficient in artillery.

The greatest danger now to be apprehended is that the enemy may collect a force outside and attempt to rescue the garrison. My cavalry force is insufficient to guard properly against this, but with what I have I am doing the best I can.

The railroad is effectually broken at Jackson, so that an army to come here within the next twenty days would have to haul their supplies and ordnance stores with teams at least 40 miles. The rebels set such a value upon the possession of a foothold on the Mississippi River, however, that a desperate effort will be made to hold this point. For this reason, I deem it advisable that as large a force be collected here as possible.

Having all my available force that can be spared from West Tennessee and Helena here, to get any more I must look outside of my own department. You being engaged in the same enterprise, I am compelled to ask you to give me such assistance as may be in your power.

When I commenced writing this, it was my intention to propose sending you, if you will furnish the transportation, 8,000 or 10,000 men to co-operate with you on Port Hudson, but, whilst writing, a courier came in from my cavalry, stating that a force of the enemy are now about 30 miles northeast of here. They may be collecting there for the purpose of making an attack. At present, therefore, I do not deem it prudent to send off any men I have, or even safe, without abandoning some of the advantages already gained. I would be pleased, general, to have you come, with such force as you are able to spare. You can be supplied with everything from Young's Point. The road is now good across the point opposite Vicksburg, and, with your transports, the ferriage can be made. I am in hopes this letter will find you in possession of Port Hudson, and, therefore, of a much larger force to bring to this place than you could otherwise detach.

Colonel Grierson would be of immense value to me now. If he has not already started, will you be kind enough to order him here immediately? He should come up the Louisiana shore, to avoid delay.

 U.S. GRANT.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 3 (Serial No. 38), p. 346-7

No comments: