Sunday, June 8, 2014

John Brown to Henry Thompson, March 15, 1851

North Hudson, N. Y., March 15, 1851.

I have drawn an order on you, payable in board of Mail-carrier, horse-feed, or oats, in favor of Mr. Judd for $7.09, which you will oblige me by paying in oats at forty cents per bushel, or in board as above, whichever he may choose. When you can sell my stuff please pay your father $2.00 for me. I also wish you to send on of my shingles that Hiram Brown carried out, two thousand to Alva Holt, as we settled about the oats on condition of my sending him two thousand. I wish you to open an account of debt and credit with me from this time on, as I shall have a good many errands to trouble you with. I wish you would notify Mr. Flanders by letter at once (if Nash calls on you for the $3.00) to go ahead with the suit. Mr. Kellogg told me he thought the Trustees would settle with me, were he to write to them. We are getting along very well; the boys are still ahead, and Jack is with us. Mr. Blood talked of taking the shingles before I sold the two thousand to Holt, and said he would go and look at them, and give me $1.50 per thousand for them if he liked them. I wish to do the handsome thing by him about it. Would be glad to have you see him about it. My love unceasing to Ruth.

Affectionately yours,
John Brown.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 107-8

No comments: