Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Major-General Henry W. Halleck, June 28, 1863 – 7 a.m.

FREDERICK, MD., June 28, 1863 7  a.m.
(Received 10 a.m.)
General H. W. HALLECK,
General-in-Chief:

The order placing me in command of this army is received. As a soldier, I obey it, and to the utmost of my ability will execute it. Totally unexpected as it has been, and in ignorance of the exact condition of the troops and position of the enemy, I can only now say that it appears to me I must move toward the Susquehanna, keeping Washington and Baltimore well covered, and if the enemy is checked in his attempt to cross the Susquehanna, or if he turns toward Baltimore, to give him battle. I would say that I trust every available  man that can be spared will be sent to me, as from all accounts the enemy is in strong force. So soon as I can post myself up, I will communicate more in detail.

 GEO. G. MEADE,
 Major-General.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 4-5; The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 27, Part 1 (Serial No. 43), p. 61-2

No comments: