Thursday, July 17, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, August 20, 1863

Headquarters Dept. Of The Tennessee,
Vicksburg, Aug. 20,1863.

I wrote you from New Orleans and am now probably in advance of my letter. Circumstances rendered it necessary for me to return with despatch, and I am now on my way to Cairo, and probably Memphis. I have traversed the Mississippi, the lower Mississippi, so often that I am as familiar with its banks almost as a river pilot. I shall leave this afternoon. Write you again both from Memphis and Cairo.

General Grant has not gone to Mobile, he is now in Memphis or on his return to this point.

The health at New Orleans is remarkably good, and this may be ascribed in a great measure to extraordinary cleanliness of the city and the perfection of the quarantine. Natchez, too, is healthy, and I hear no complaint at Vicksburg. I do not believe there will be what is called a sickly season here, or in the Southern country generally, and regret to learn you anticipate one where you are. You speak of rest for our armies. There is, there will be, no rest for armed men while this rebellion lasts. We have sent one army corps to reinforce Banks. Our soldiers are not suffering; they are well fed and well clothed. They want support and reinforcement from home, they want to see the conscript law rigidly enforced.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 329-30

No comments: