Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Governor Henry A. Wise to James Buchanan, November 25, 1859

Richmond, Va., November 25, 1859.

To His Excellency, James Buchanan, President of the United States:

Sir — I have information from various quarters, upon which I rely, that a conspiracy, of formidable extent in means and numbers, is formed in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York and other States, to rescue John Brown and his associates, prisoners at Charlestown, Va. The information is specific enough to be reliable. It convinces me that an attempt will be made to rescue the prisoners, and, if that fails, then to seize citizens of this State as hostages and victims in case of execution. The execution will take place next Friday as certainly as that Virginia can and will enforce her laws. I have been obliged to call out one thousand men, who are now under arms, and, if necessary, shall call out the whole available force of the State to carry into effect the sentence of our laws on the 2d and 16th proximo. Places in Maryland, Ohio and Pennsylvania have been occupied as depots and rendezvous by these desperadoes, unobstructed by guards or otherwise, to invade this State, and we are kept in continual apprehension of outrages from fire and rapine on our borders. I apprise you of these facts in order that you may take steps to preserve peace between the States. I protest that my purpose is peaceful, and that I disclaim all threats when I say, with all the might of meaning, that if another invasion assails this State or its citizens from any quarter, I will pursue the invaders wherever they may go into any territory, and punish them wherever arms can reach them.

I shall send copies of this to the Governors of Maryland, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

With due respect and consideration,

Yours truly,
HENRY A. WISE

SOURCE: George Edward Reed, Editor, Pennsylvania Archives, Fourth Series, Volume 8, Papers of the Governors, 1858-1871, p. 197-8

No comments: