Saturday, July 12, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, June 14, 1862

Near Weyer's Cave, June 14th.

When I look at the locality of the cave, I take additional interest in it from the fact that my esposita was there once. . . . Our God has again thrown his shield over me in the various apparent dangers to which I have been exposed. This evening we have religious services in the army for the purpose of rendering thanks to the Most High for the victories with which He has crowned our arms, and to offer earnest prayer that He will continue to give us success, until, through His divine blessing, our independence shall be established. Wouldn't you like to get home again?

SOURCES: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 283-4

No comments: