Friday, July 25, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, September 8, 1862

Last evening I attended a German Reformed church in Frederick City. I was not quite near enough to hear all the sermon,1 and I regret to say fell asleep; but had I been near enough to hear, would probably not have been so unfortunate. The minister is a gifted one, and the building beautiful. The pews are arranged in a circular form, so that every person faces the pulpit. The town appears to be a charming place, neat and beautiful. The ladies and gentlemen were sitting in front of the doors, and all looked so comfortable, and I may say elegant, according to my ideas, and their enjoyment looked so genuine, that my heart was in sympathy with the surroundings. If such scenes could only surround me in Lexington, how my heart would, under a smiling Providence, rejoice!
_______________

1 His modesty had led him to take a back seat.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 346

No comments: