Thursday, July 24, 2014

Major-General William T. Sherman to Major-General George H. Thomas, October 10, 1864 – 12 p.m.

HDQRS. MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI,
In the Field, Cartersville, October 10, 1864 12 m.
General G. H. THOMAS,
Nashville:

It looks as though Hood is bound for Tuscumbia. He is now crossing the Coosa below Rome, heading west. Let me know if you can hold him with the force now in Tennessee and expected, as in that event you know what I propose to do. I will be at Kingston to-morrow. I think Rome is strong enough to resist any attack, and the rivers are all high. If he turns up by Summerville, I will get in behind him.

W. T. SHERMAN,
Major-General, Commanding.

SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 39, Part 2 (Serial No. 79), p. 191; John Bell Hood, Advance and Retreat, p. 264

No comments: