Thursday, August 7, 2014

Brigadier-General James A. Garfield to Corydon E. Fuller, September 5, 1862

Howland Springs, Trumbull Co., O.,
September 5, 1862.

My Dear Corydon: — Your kind letter of the 25th ult. was received a few days ago. I was exceedingly glad to hear from you. I have not heard from you for a long time, only by way of your paper, a copy of which has from time to time found its way into camp and reached me. I ought to have left the field two months ago, but I had hoped to ward off disease, but for being put on that miserable Court Martial, where I was shut up for near forty days in a hot room, where I could get no exercise; and at last I broke down. It was doubted by some whether I could live to get home. I lost forty-three pounds of flesh, and was so weak that I had to lie on a couch in the court the last ten days of my attendance. I had the jaundice very badly, and the chronic diarrhœa. I am getting better; indeed, I am nearly free from disease, but I am very weak. I have come away here to a quiet farmer's home, where there is a medicinal spring, and I could get rest away from the school and the crowd of visitors.

I hope to be able to take the field again in a few weeks. I have just received a telegram from Secretary Stanton, ordering me to report at Washington in person for orders, as soon as I am well enough. It is rumored that I am to have a larger command, but what and where I do not know. The doctor says I will not be fit for duty before the first of October, but I am very restive under this restraint, I assure you.

After so many months of preparation, there now seems to be a hope of active work, and it is a great trial to me to have to lie here and do nothing. Crete and Trot are with me, and but for the war I should be very glad to enjoy their society once more. Trot is twenty-six months old, and I have lived with her but eight months of that time.

On the 2nd inst. I was nominated to Congress from this district. I had taken no part in the canvass, and did not even attend the convention. It was a spontaneous act of the people.

The Eclectic is doing well. We have nearly two hundred students. I hope you may not fail in your paper. Can I aid you in any way? Let me know. Give my love to Mary. Crete joins me in love to you both. Let me hear from you again. Direct to Hiram, and if I am gone it will be forwarded to me.

With much love, I am, as of yore,
Your brother,
James.

SOURCE: Corydon Eustathius Fuller, Reminiscences of James A. Garfield: With Notes Preliminary and Collateral, p. 330

No comments: