Monday, August 11, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, February 27, 1864

Camp On Pearl River, Ten Miles S. W. Of
Canton, Mississippi, February 27, 1864.
My Dear Wife:

I have opportunity to send a single line to assure you that I am safe and well. A glance at the map of Mississippi will give you our line of march and present location. The railway is marked from Vicksburg due east through Warren, Hinds, Rankin, Scott, Newton, Lauderdale, and Clark Counties, to the extreme western border of the State. My command has been to Enterprise and Quitman. I am now on Pearl River in Madison County, near Madisonville, within about seventy (70) miles of Vicksburg. Fire, havoc, desolation, and ruin have marked our course. The blow has been terrible, crushing. The enemy have fled before us like frightened deer. The whole railway system of the State is broken up. The railway I have indicated shows our pathway through the State. We have not yet heard from our cavalry.

My health is excellent, my horses have stood the journey well and the troops of my command are all well and in fine spirits. To-day is the twenty-seventh of the march; we have covered some three hundred and fifty miles.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 354-5

No comments: