Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, December 25, 1864

On Board Str. “Huntsman,”
Cumberland River, Christmas, 1864.

We left Louisville Thursday evening last and, just as the boat was shoving off, I indicted you a brief note. We have progressed thus far, having a few moments since left Fort Donaldson without accident. Fort Donaldson, as you are aware, was the scene of General Grant's first great victory, and the starting-point to his present greatness. I caught but a bird's-eye view of the fortifications; from the river side they seem almost impregnable. It is now garrisoned by some twelve hundered troops. All the way to this point we have been warned to keep a bright lookout for guerillas, this boat being the pioneer from Louisville. I have apprehended no danger and feel satisfied that so far as these gentry are concerned we shall reach our destination unobstructed. The anniversary, as usual, brings no joy to me, save that, to-day, I have leisure in quiet to make a retrospect of the past. Last Christmas I passed on the banks of the Yazoo, reviewing the field of battle on which I had fought just a year prior to this time. How fraught with events to me these years have been, and now I wonder where my next Christmas will find me.

I thought when I started to keep something like a log or diary of my wanderings, but so thorough a nomad have I become, so used to the current events of everyday travel, especially by steamboat, that something of a really startling nature must transpire to make me think it worth while to note. I would renew a former injunction to follow my course on the map. Trace me down the Ohio to the mouth of the Cumberland, and up. It will be a good way for the children to learn something of the geography of the country by following in imagination their father's wanderings, in thousands of miles through various States from the Gulf of Mexico to the extreme New England coast. It will seem incredible to you, until after careful study, how much I have passed over within the past year, and all without the slightest accident from the perils of navigation or travel by land. I lay me down at night to sleep with the same confidence with which I share your pillow; I wake in the morning to find myself hundreds of miles from where I had my last waking dream or dreaming thought. The bird of passage is hardly fleet enough of wing to outstrip me in my wandering. The weather was very cold the day we left Louisville, the next still colder but clear and beautiful and the morning sun rose and glittered upon one of the strangest scenes I have ever witnessed in nature. A very heavy fog rose from the river about one o'clock, and settling upon the trees and shrubs imperceptibly froze and gathered until everything that had a spray was clothed with the lightest feathery texture that can be imagined, lighter, purer, whiter than the softest driven snow, and each little flake looking like a small plume, all nodding and waving to the passing air; all this the sun shone upon from a cloudless horizon through rosy tints and such a sunrise has rarely been witnessed. The captain of our boat, an old man, who has been upon the river thirty years, saw no sight like it, and the commonest deckhand looked on with rapture at the beauty. All day under a bright sun, but with a freezing atmosphere we glided through the drift of a full and rising river, and, by starlight, kept on through the night coursing the bends and running the chutes bank full; the next day was warm, and yesterday, as we struck the mouth of the Cumberland, the air was soft and balmy as a day in May. We are running now nearly due south, but a light rain is falling; it is a soft, green Christmas here. No passengers on the boat; Joe and the horses, and officers and the crew, all. We are freighted with iron and lumber, oats and corn. I tread the deck sole monarch of the steamboat. The Cumberland winds through high banks of limestone rock, rich with iron and coal, occasional bottoms fertile for corn, but the rolling land back thin and sterile.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 371-3

No comments: