Thursday, August 7, 2014

Colonel Clark R. Weaver to General John Bell Hood, October 12, 1864

HDQRS. SECOND BRIGADE, THRD DIVISION, FIFTEENTH ARMY CORPS,
Resaca, Ga., October 12, 1864.
General J. B. HOOD:

Your communication of this date just received. In reply I have to state that I am somewhat surprised at the concluding paragraph, to the effect that “If the place is carried by assault no prisoners will be taken.”  In my opinion I can hold this post; if you want it come and take it.

I am, general, very respectfully, your most obedient servant,

CLARK R. WEVER,
Commanding Officer.

SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 39, Part 1 (Serial No. 77), p. 753; Burton Dunham Ingersoll, Iowa and the Rebellion, p. 305

No comments: